It launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida yesterday morning in its Aurora-7 spacecraft perched atop a giant Atlas rocket.

He followed almost the same path Colonel John Glenn took in his Friendship-7 capsule on February 20.

Carpenter’s return to earth at the end of the third orbit yesterday was followed by a 35 minute silence.

Ships and planes waiting for the astronaut in the recovery area 800 miles southeast of Cape Canaveral did not see his candy-striped parachute floating out to sea.

The 3000 degree heat of re-entry cut off all radio communications with the capsule.

Worried scientists estimated it should have landed in the ocean at 12:41 p.m., but there was no signal from it.

As the planes rolled out over the Atlantic, crowds gathered in front of television sets in homes and in store windows.

A British device led to the discovery of the capsule by a US Navy search plane.

The aircraft picked up signals from the capsule’s head beacon and located Carpenter perched on a life raft alongside the floating capsule.

American Astronaut Threatened Three Orbit Space Mission Error
(May 28)
CAPE CANAVERAL, May 27 — Human error by astronaut Malcolm Scott Carpenter nearly ruined his successful three-orbit flight on Thursday.

This was revealed yesterday at the age of 37. The Navy Lieutenant Commander completed the final phase of his interrogations by technical experts and engineers at Grand Turk Island, Bahamas.

Today, Carpenter will return to Cape Canaveral, Florida for a reunion with his family and a public welcome.

The error was that Carpenter forgot to close a tap and drained his fuel supply to a dangerously low level.


The astronauts’ press secretary, Lt_.Col. John Powers, described the near depletion of one of the spacecraft’s two hydrogen peroxide fuel tanks, which was used to squirt through nozzles on the exterior of the craft to change its posture in space.

Carpenter manually controlled Aurora 7 as it flew over the Pacific in its final orbit just before re-entering Earth’s atmosphere.